Basic Range Rules
- The range officer (RO) is in charge of everybody and must be obeyed immediately.
- Under no circumstances may firearms be loaded except when on the firing line and by command of the RO.
- Firearms that are not in bags or cases must be carried with the muzzles pointed safely and the actions open.
- Firearms that are not in bags or cases must have the bolts and magazines removed, where possible.
- Self-loading firearms with actions that do not remain open must be held open either with a breech safety plug or with an object (such as an ice-cream stick or piece of cardboard) so that it is clearly visible that they are not loaded.
- All persons have an obligation to report any potentially dangerous situation to the RO immediately.
- Firearms may not be handled behind the firing line. Persons wishing to examine, adjust, clean or otherwise handle firearms must only do so in a designated safe area or on the actual firing line.
- No-one is permitted to approach the firing line until the RO issues the command (eg, ‘shooters to the line’).
- You may not touch any firearm until the RO issues the appropriate command.
- On the command ‘cease fire’ all shooters must immediately open the action, put their firearm down - muzzle pointed down range - and stand immediately behind the firing line to await the RO who will issue further instructions or clear each firearm in turn.
- No-one is permitted to go down range until the RO has cleared all firearms and issued the command ‘the range is now clear to go forward!’ Once the range is clear, the RO’s duty is to ensure no-one approaches the firing line.
- Firing may not commence until the appropriate warning flags have been erected in accordance with the club’s rulings.
- Shooting may only be at the proper targets. All fauna is protected on the range and persons who deliberately shoot at non-standard targets will be expelled from the range.
- Hearing and eye protection should be worn by all personnel, at all times, when firing is taking place. (Refer to local range rules.)
|< Prev||Next >|