- Treat every firearm with respect. Ensure that the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction.
- Treat every firearm as if it is LOADED until you have personally proven otherwise.
- Clear your firearm before handing it to someone else.
- Clear the firearm after receiving if from someone else.
- When a firearm is unattended, it must be left in a safe and stable position.
- Never throw a firearm to someone else; this is stupid and dangerous. Do not attempt to catch a firearm thrown to you.
- Never shoot at a hard flat surface, or at the surface of water, as there is the possibility of ricochet.
- Always carry the firearm with a definite purpose, always having complete control of the firearm.
- Never POINT ANY firearm, LOADED or EMPTY, at anyone.
- Do not cock the firearm or place your finger inside the trigger until you are ready to fire.
- Be sure of your target. Always identify your target before you fire.
- Never fire whilst running. Always stop and take aim before firing.
- Every time a firearm is handled for any purpose other than firing, unload and visually check to ensure the firearm is safe.
- Check your ammunition. Old ammunition is not reliable.
- Store your firearm in a dry, secure place.
- Maintain your firearm in A1 condition.
- Remember, guns and alcohol don’t mix.